Monday, April 30, 2007

Who is the greatest on-screen physicist?

Weird question no? This is the sort of stuff that I worry about as I fall asleep at night. Well no, not really but it's something that I thought about late last night after watching Spiderman 2.

I'm gonna go all out there and say that Spiderman, or rather Peter Parker, is the best fictional character that is both a physicist and has appeared on the big screen.

Can anyone out there come up with a better big-screen physicist? Here are some that I thought up, each of which is way less cool than Spiderman:

  • Dr Otto Octavius (the bad guy in Spiderman 2)
  • Bruce Banner (The Hulk)
  • Dr Emmett Brown ("Doc" from Back to the Future)
  • Eddie (A physicist played by Keanu Reeves in the crappy movie "Chain Reaction")
  • Angela Merkel (whoops, unfortunately she's not a movie character)

Anyway, I'm totally hanging (ha, I totally meant that pun) to see Spiderman 3 in the coming week or so...