Wednesday, December 08, 2004

To my American friends again

Today I read this article posted by Carl Caves, a professor at the University of New Mexico. He suggests that moving to Australia to might be a reasonable response to the re-election of the Bush administration. I don't blame him too much, but I'm worried that he might not find much respite from right-wing politics here. The Howard government has an absolute stranglehold on Australian politics. Howard, while portraying himself as a pragmatic leader, is essentially a neo-con. He is religious but I wouldn't seriously suggest that he is from the religious right, though some of his key lieutenants certainly are (i.e. Tony Abbott and co). Moving to Australia wouldn't exactly be jumping from the frying pan into the fire but it might be jumping from the frying pan into a big fat kettle with a blowtorch under it.....

Anyway, Carl's article is definitely worth a read. I've added a link to his "commentary" page on my sidebar because most of his articles are excellent.