Saturday, June 18, 2005

Homesick (I wanna go to the Valley Fiesta!)

Crap, it's a Saturday afternoon and I was busily working (aimlessly surfing the net), when I realized that in a couple of weeks my home town, Brisbane, has it's annual Valley Fiesta. Damn, I wanna go home so I can spend the best part of a week drunk wondering around watching good bands, going to art exhibitions, eating good food and checking out cool fashion.
Oh, I haven't explained what the Valley Fiesta is yet have I, well normally it's a weekend where you wonder around drunk watching good bands, going to art exhibitions, eating good food and checking out cool fashion....
The "Valley" is an area of Brisbane that has a bunch of pretty decent nightclubs (Okay I'll admit it also has a bunch of pretty crap nightclubs as well, but no-one remembers them and they don't survive long...) packed into a fairly confined area. It also has numerous art galleries, lots of fashion boutiques (so you can get clothes to wear to said nightclubs and exhibitions at aforementioned galleries). Oh and the Valley music scene is famous for churning out great Australian bands, they are particularly supported by clubs such as Rics, The Troubadour, The Rev, and The Zoo.
Anyway, the Valley Fiesta is normally a weekend where Brisbane celebrates, well, The Valley. All the clubs run good gigs, the fashionistas do their fashion parade things, and the artsy people appreciate art. The city council chips in by shutting down some streets to whack up some stages for the biggest bands. Basically, it's one big party. This year it is running from Wednesday the 6th of July to Sunday the 10th (in Bris Vegas weekends are a bit flexible). Last year the Hilltop Hoods headlined, and about 200 000 people showed up to watch... It was a pretty crazy night...
Damn I wish I could just fly home for a week...