Thursday, June 02, 2005

Postcard from East Germany

Sorry for the lack of posting lately. No good excuses, just me being slack.
Last weekend I visited Leipzig with my girlfriend, Sarah (in blue). We went there to visit her friend Marlen (in red). It was a really fun weekend. The weather was spectacular, most of the time the temperature was in the 30s, not something I really expected.
On Friday we went to a lake near Leipzig to just chill out and soak up the sun. I took this picture while we were there:



Notice the power station on the other side of the lake. It's all a bit different from what I'm used to and it's really easy to make jokes about East Germany and pollution and all that, but the reality of it all was that it was a really fun day.
Probably the only down side to the weekend was travelling home. Something that is really cool about Germany is this website. Basically, this website is an organized form of hitchhiking. People post to it if they are driving somewhere and have space in their car and then you can ring, sms, or email these people to get a lift. It's a cool idea. Anyway, I had a lift from Leipzig to Munich on Sunday arvo. It's about 400 km or so. It took 7 hrs and 35 mins to get to Munich!!! The roadworks were crazy. We spent more than half the time stuck in traffic jams. Fortunately, it only took 7 hrs and 35 mins. If it had taken 7 hrs and 40 mins to get to Munich I would have missed the last train to Innsbruck and would have been sleeping at the station!