Wednesday, May 04, 2005

I'm off to Deutschland this afternoon

This afternoon I'm catching the train to Duesseldorf to visit my girlfriend for the weekend. Yes, I realize it's a Wednesday, tomorrow is a public holiday and, well, I'm taking a day off on Friday. It's going to be really interesting to see what Germany is like, this is the first time that I'm visiting my girlfriends home. I finally get to put faces to so many names that I've heard so much about.
Travelling to Duesseldorf should be interesting. I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to trains, I always find train stations very confusing objects. They are kinda like airports, except with a lot less security and a lot less organisation. Anyway, I'm travelling Innsbruck to Munich, Munich to Cologne, and Cologne to Duesseldorf - total travel time is just a tad over 8 hours...
There are a whole lot of stories about famous theoretical physics results that were derived on similar train journeys, I'm beginning to realize why. I have a stack of papers to read on the train and a whole lot of math to work through. I will be stuck in the one place for 8 hours or so - this will pretty much guarantee that I will finally put pen to paper and try to solve some of the problems that have be floating around in my head for a few weeks now. Oh yea, there is also no internet and no meetings, so distractions should be at a minimum!
And yes I did just mention physics in my blog, I am actually a physicist - not just some frisbee playing politics guy.