Friday, November 04, 2005

100! Happy birthday to me!!!

Ok, so I just realized that today is my blog's birthday.
I also realized that I was 4 posts shy of 100 so I thought I'd speed things up a little so that I could celebrate 100 posts and this blog's birthday at the same time.
So, 1 year ago I posted this article. I also posted this one too, I think I like it better because it has a photo of my old beanie that I lost in a drunken taxi-ride incident about 6 months ago.
It's been a weird year. When I started this blog I was in the middle of writing my PhD thesis. Now, I'm a big grown-up postdoc living on the other side of the planet. I've seen and done a lot in this time, some of which has made it to this blog, some of which hasn't. I try not to think too much about how much my life has changed in this time. I get pretty dizzy just trying to piece it all together.
So where am I at now? What am I thinking about today? Well, I woke up this morning and Innsbruck was turning on a spectacularly clear morning. I could walk outside and see for miles. It was pretty spectacular scenery too; little villages up in the hills, the forests which are all shades of red and yellow, and the taller mountains were tipped with snow.
Walking to work I could see that a lot of the trees have already lost their leaves. This afternoon, the skies are grey and I'm thinking that I better get out there and buy myself some winter clothes before the snow starts to fall. I guess that is my plan for this weekend.
I wonder how I'm going to cope with the winter? I've lived my whole life in Brisbane, this whole winter thing is extremely foreign to me. The sun here doesn't come up until 7 or later now, it goes down again at 5. It gets so dark so early that I feel like I should be leaving work at 3 in the afternoon. I think I'm going to find this all quite weird.