Thursday, November 03, 2005

The White Stripes rock!

Last Saturday night Sarah and I went to see the White Stripes play in Duesseldorf. They absolutely rocked! They were as tight, and energetic as they were when I saw them in 2003. I think the only difference was that Jack seems to be a bit tubbier than he was back then.

It was a great night, it began with me and Sarah knocking down a bottle of Malibu between us on the way to the gig. It is both a great and a horrible thing that you are allowed to drink anywhere in public in Germany and Austria. On Saturday it was a great thing. We shared the bottle between us on the train trip from Moenchengladbach (where Sarah's apartment is) to the concert.
We got to the gig about half-an-hour before the support act, the Greenhornes, got on stage. Because we were there early we were given these little red wristbands that allowed us to come and go from the mosh pit all night! That was totally cool, it meant that we were about 10 to 15 metres from the stage the whole night.
Anyway, the support played for a half hour, then Meg and Jack white came on and rocked the hall for 1 and a half hours. I couldn't remember the playlist if I tried. I do remember that there seemed to be a lot more stuff from "Elephant" and "Get behind Me Satan" than from the earlier albums. I guess that's not really so surprising though.
I think the only downer of the night was that there were some drunken idiots that didn't know how to dance around up the front without hurting people. I guess though that you always get this at gigs by popular bands. Still, it was a White Stripes concert, not Rancid...
Anyway, like I promised, here are some pics from the gig. I think they were all taken by Sarah, I think I was too drunk to take any good ones :-).


Jack playing right in front of us


Meg looking awesome as always singing "In the cold, cold night".


Meg and Jack just rocking out.